Battleship Potemkin

Home Forums Your Work in Progress Edits Battleship Potemkin

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Til 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Beegle
    Participant

Hey folks!
    Thought the forums looked a little spooky and empty so I wanted to tell you I’m working on a 5-minute version of the Russian classic Battleship Potemkin.

So far, I have edited part 1 (out of 5) to 1 minute, summarizing the complete first chapter. If I keep the same pace and ratio, I will be able to compress the full 1h12m film into 5 minutes.

I will update when I resume work on the project.
    Thanks for the challenge! Neat idea, and pretty hard to do a clear-enough edit into so little time. Challenging is the word.

Pablo Hernández

Hey Beegle. What’s up?
    It’s wise of you that kind of structural division/methodology. Thank you for sharing your ideas. I’m keen on watching Soviet edits, hehe. Best of luck mate! 🙂

Beegle
    Participant

Hello editors, hello Pablo!
    Here’s an update on Battleship Potemkin.

I have finished the second act (mutiny) yesterday. And the more I move forward, the more I take creative decisions/liberties in order to keep things short. They don’t change the movie or the story as a coherent whole, but the way scenes follow each other is immensely affected.

For example, there’s a sailor named Vakulinchuk who gets killed by his officer. This guy serves as a character for viewers to identify with, and when he gets killed, the others make him a small tent on the Odessa quay, where the residents can see him, mourn, and become sympathetic to the revolution.

But in my edit, he simply doesn’t get killed, and that means I have to rearrange elements and find another incentive for the residents to want to help the sailors.

For the edit, I’m certain it will help me. But I am wondering if people who know the film will forgive me for cutting such crucial parts or people.

Til
    Keymaster

Hey Beegle – thanks again for your beautiful edit! It’s finally gone live at 90to5 and on youtube. Enjoy & share 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.