The Cheat 1915 Rita

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Til 3 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Rita Rallemos
    Participant

Hey guys,

My name is Rita, and this is my first editing challenge. I have been working on this edit for awhile now, and this may or may not be entered in this years’ challenge.

Let me know how smooth this looks. I had some issues in the editing process.

Thanks!
    Rita

Rita Rallemos
    Participant

And I’m not sure why the video is tiny.

Til
    Keymaster

Hey Rita! Thanks heaps for using the forum!!! 😀 I am so glad someone uses it!
    …just tweaked the css a bit – if you reload the page, is the video size better?

Great edit by the way! I don’t know enough about editing to give you critique – so all the knowledgeable editors out there – give your praise and advice.

Cheers,
    Til

Rita Rallemos
    Participant

The video looks way better, thank you!

I’m hoping more people start using the forums. Does it get more attention when October rolls around?

Til
    Keymaster

…it’s the first time we have this forum. In general things get more busy towards the closing in of the deadline – but I truly hope you get a little bit of feedback beforehand – fingers crossed 🙂

Pablo Hernández

Dear Rita, how do you do?

It’s awesome to have your edit amongst us and have the opportunity of dissect such a classic film while watching your edit several times. First of all, congratulations for your work. I know how hard it’s to summarise a 60 minutes movie into a 5 minutes edit. You were brave by choosing just certain moments and it’s worthy of respect to see someone listening to the views of strangers! It seems that I’m the first to grasp the nettle, but I let you know that I’m not more than an aspiring editor, so don’t take this too seriously.

As I presume that your video is a work-in-progress edit, I didn’t take into account the trims –referring to the cuts– but the macro-structure of it –how the information is organised and how the rhythm plays its role in a certain way.
    A couple of things in general:
    – Until 3:30 (Mrs Hardy arrives home) the pace is a bit slow. In a nutshell, too long shots. For instance, you may get rid of the shot that goes from 2:40 until 3:09, cutting directly to Mr. Hardy. I know there’re very interesting emotions/reactions in those seconds, but as you have to shorten your edit, I’d manage to tell that sentiment (lady’s dissatisfaction with Mr Arakau) through different scenes.
    – When it comes to the end, that will be the part you should have to rethink most in my humble opinion. In doing a more complex ending –similar to that of the original film–, you’d give your edit a more intriguing outcome. Please, consider to bring more anecdotes from the original movie taking advantage of those seconds you’ll get if reducing the first part (that’s presentation of characters, and intentions). You may incorporate the ambiguous case (Was the husband or the wife?) though not strictly revealing how all really happened/ended.

That’s easier said than done I know, but as a budding editor I know you can retouch and improve your edit until the end of the month. It’ll be alright on the night!

Best,
    Pablo.

Pablo Hernández

Oh, sorry Rita. Thinking about your edit again I realised that I was completely wrong when I said you have to shorten it. Indeed, you have 30 seconds more than the time you used (up to 5:50, you know). For that reason, I encourage you to improve the ending (closing the narrative) in those 30 seconds.
    Sorry again. It’s I just didn’t understand why you closed the edit in such a prompt way. What would you say?

Til
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot Pablo for your detailed analysis! Rita – I hope you get a few hints you were looking for from Pablo’s feedback to tweak your edit a bit.
    …just one week left o.O
    Looking forward to your final version 😀

Cheers,
    Til

Rita Rallemos
    Participant

Hello Guys!

Sorry for the late, late reply, I have been busy with school. Sadly, I don’t think I will have the final cut ready in time for the deadline, but I will definitely put on youtube or something when I’m done. 🙂 I’ll have to try again next year.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback!

I wanted to tell a completely different story than what was in the original film, but of course it turned out to be a little bit more challenging than I anticipated. So, the ending is a little bit more abrupt. I wanted it to be the husband who shoots the lover out of jealousy, and the wife hearing the gun shot, runs away.

I do get what you’re are saying, Pablo. I’m still struggling with my edit, and I’m wondering if that’s because I’m still a newbie editor, or because the film I chose doesn’t give me much flexibility.

Like I said, this is still very much a rough cut. When I get some free time, I will continue to work on this piece. I will take some of your advice, and see where it takes me. I will certainly post the final cut if anyone will still be interested.

Thanks again, glad to always get feedback!

Til
    Keymaster

Hey Rita,

Thanks again for sharing your edit and posting in this forum! …just wanted to let you know we extended the deadline after this weekend, in case you feel like tweaking your edit of The Cheat.
    Even if not, I still encourage you to enter the competition. It’s art after all, so you never know what the judges will be able to appreciate. Think of the challenge like the Olympics – it’s not winning, it’s taking part that matters, right?

Cheers,
    Til

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.